So, you have got yourself a PS5 controller but don’t own a PlayStation, what should you do?
Although Dualsense does not have any official drivers for PC, you can still use your PS5 controller on your computer to play your favorite PC games. There are several methods allowing you to change PlayStation configuration support and connect your PS5 controller to your PC.
*TechImperatives.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
How To Connect PS5 Controller To PC
No matter the reason, it is always good to have some tricks up your sleeves, especially if you are a gamer. Therefore, it’s best if you learn how to connect the PS5 controller to PC without facing any issues.
To help you out, we have compiled a list of the best ways to use the PS5 Dualsense controller on a PC below. So without further ado, let’s get into it!
Method #1 – Setting Up Your Controller With A USB-C Cable
Th easiest way to connect the controller to your PC is via an USB cable.
Windows 10 + 11 will automatically detect the controller, so you don’t have to install any additional drivers. You can use the USB cable that came with the controller, otherwise you can get an USB-C to USB-A cable on Amazon (click here*).
The setup is quite simple:
- Connect the USB-A end of your cable to your computer
- Connect the USB-C end of your cable to the controller
- Windows will automatically detect the device and notify you
- Once your PC successfully detects your controller, the device will light up. Afterward, your controller will be usable!
Method #2 – Setting Up Your Controller With Bluetooth
Luckily, you can also connect your PS5 controller to a PC through Bluetooth. However, for this to work, your computer must be equipped with Bluetooth. If you don’t already have the Bluetooth feature, you can get a Bluetooth dongle* to connect a PS5 controller to your PC via Bluetooth!
The setup is quite straight forward:
- In your windows search bar click on the “search icon” and search for “bluetooth“
- Open the bluetooth setttings
- Then click on “add device” and select “bluetooth“
- On your controller, hold the PS button + the create button for a few seconds
- Once you see blue lights on your controller, release the PlayStation button
- On PC, select your controller, which will be under the “Wireless Controller” option
- Once your PC pairs up with your controller, you will see a steady blue light
- Click on done and play your favorite games with the PS5 controller
It’s noteworthy to mention here that your controller will use the battery as it is connected wirelessly. So, you’ll have to charge it from time to time to keep playing. In that scenario, you can connect your PS5 controller using a micro USB. It will increase the efficiency as well as charge it!
Method #3 – Setting Up Your Controller With A Third-Party Software
Last but not least, you can also connect your PS5 controller to a PC using third-party software. If you have used the above-mentioned approach, you might not have to use this method.
However, if, for some reason, you want to configure your controller and connect it to a PC, you can use third-party software known as DS4Windows
Here’s how to connect a PS5 or ps4 controller to a PC using DS4Windows software:
- Download and Install the “DS4Windows” software
- Install the PS5 controller driver
- Reboot your system
Once your PC starts, you will be able to use your PS5 controller. The DS4Windows software is designed to configure a PlayStation controller as an Xbox controller.
However, DS4Windows allows you to change the profiles and alter the controls according to your needs and preferences. If you are using the DS4Windows profile in steam, you’ll need to turn off both Xbox and PlayStation configuration support in the steam settings!
Heres a great video on it:
Pro Tip – Setting Up Your Controller With Steam
Steam is considered one of the most popular game launchers and storefronts on PC. This platform allows you to download and play almost all the famous games. So, if you prefer to play your games from the Steam library, the best bet for you is to set up your PS5 controller with steam.
Fortunately, steam allows you to set up your PS5 controller from the steam configuration tool itself, meaning you don’t even have to download any additional applications. The biggest advantage of using this approach is that you can even play non-steam games on steam, allowing you to use your controller with almost every PC game out there!
Here is a step by step guide explaining how to set up your PS5 controller on steam:
- Launch “Steam” and go to “Settings“
- Click on the “Controller” tab
- Select the “General Controller Settings” option
- Enable the “PlayStation Configuration Support“
- Select “Back” and click on “OK“
Once done, all you have to do is launch a certain game and press the “PS” button on the controller. This step will open a pop-up screen, where you can assign a certain action to a particular button.
Even if you have a certain game outside the steam library, you can still use your controller with this method. For this method, all you need to do is add a non-steam game to your steam library. To do so, you can follow the below-mentioned method:
- Open “Steam“
- Click on “Games“
- Select “Add a non-steam game to My Library“
Once done, you’ll be able to launch your non-steam games over steam game launches. As a result, you will be able to use your PS5 controller to play that certain game.
Reason to use a PS5 controller with your PC
Well, no two gamers are the same. If one person prefers a mouse and keyboard, the other one might feel more comfortable with a proper controller to play PC games. Therefore, there are several reasons why one might want to connect a PS5 controller to a pc, such as:
- Your PC controller is damaged, and you only have a PS5 controller on your hand
- PS5 controllers are more durable and comfortable compared to other devices out there
- You don’t really like to use a mouse and keyboard to play games
- A certain game cannot be played without a proper controller
We hope you have understood how to connect a PS5 controller to a PC. This process is fairly simple. You have multiple options. If you don’t want to download any additional software, you can simply plug your controller into your PC using a USB port. If your computer isn’t detecting your controller over USB, you can select the Bluetooth option.
You can also use your steam account to connect your controller to PC. This approach is the most beneficial as steam offers most PC games and comes with Sony’s controller configurations. If nothing works for you, download the DS4Windows software on your PC.
DS4Windows software will download PS5 drivers and detect your controllers as Xbox controllers. You can simply modify the profile to change the controls of your Dualsense controllers.